Recent appointments and achievements of Hawaii’s people, including a Big Island business leader and several Kaua’i board and commission appointees.
The Hawaii Island Chamber of Commerce has named Tennyson Noyes as its new executive officer. Noyes recently moved to Hilo from Arizona, where she managed several businesses on the famed Route 66. “We received some amazing resumes for the executive officer position,” said David DeLuz, Jr., HICC president, “but the search committee agreed that Tennyson stood out in both her strong business background and her enthusiasm for Hawaii Island and the chamber.” Before moving to Hawaii, Noyes was controller for Dunton & Dunton, and its
affiliated family businesses in Kingman, Arizona.
PacificBasin Communications announced the promotion of Kristin Gonzales to art director for Honolulu magazine. Prior to this promotion, Gonzales served as advertising art director for the magazine. Gonzales brings years of design experience to the position and has numerous design awards to her name, including four AIGA Hawaii 5-0 awards. Before joining PacificBasin, Communications Gonzales was the art director at Tori Richards and an accomplished freelance graphic designer. Gonzales was a graduate of Sacred Hearts Academy and attended the University of Hawaii where she earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts.
Hawaiian Airlines has appointed Janis Saito Bumgarner as senior director – labor relations. Bumgarner is responsible for maintaining relationships among Hawaiian’s six labor groups and administering the contracts of its largest union group, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Lodges 141 and 142. Joining Hawaiian is a coming home for Bumgarner, as she previously served with the airline for 21 years as a flight attendant and instructor, and as union chairperson for the Association of Flight Attendants. Since leaving Hawaiian in 1991, she has practiced law in California and in Taipei, Taiwan.
Governor Linda Lingle has named Eric Caceres Barsatan as boards and commissions manager to oversee the coordination of more than 140 state boards and commissions. His focus will include recruiting qualified candidates from all islands and different sectors of the community. Barsatan was a project director and grant officer for Maui County’s Office of Economic Development. He is also the general partner and executive vice president of The Filipino Summit, a monthly publication that focuses on Hawaii’s Filipino community. Barsatan previously worked for HMSA as an electronic communications specialist, as well as for Sprint Hawai`i as a service coordinator.
Gov. Lingle also appointed several Kaua`i residents to serve on various state boards and commissions. “Too often, state government is focused on urban Honolulu, which is why it’s important to have this type of neighbor island representation,” she said. “The perspective and expertise that Kaua`i residents bring to the statewide boards and commissions is very valuable.” The Governor appointed or reappointed 19 residents from Kaua`i. They are:
- Lois Fujishige Kaua`i Aquatic Life and Wildlife Advisory Committee
- John Isobe Community-Based Economic Development Advisory Council
- Christina M. Pilkington Disability and Communication Access Board
- Eleanor Jean Lloyd Policy Advisory Board for Elder Affairs
- Ryan Andrew McKnight Emergency Medical Services Advisory Committee
- Gerald Tomory Board of Directors of the Hawai`i Health Systems Corporation
- Ron J. Fleet State Highway Safety Council
- Charles G. King Board of Directors of the Hawai`i Housing Finance and Development Corporation
- Dee M. Crowell Island Burial Council, Islands of Kaua`i and Ni`ihau
- Brenda K. Viado Mental Health and Substance Abuse, Kaua`i Service Area Board
- Catherine A. Adams Center for Nursing Advisory Board
- Teresa Sakai State Board of Nursing
- Dane K. Oda Hawai`i Paroling Authority
- Mattie A. Yoshioka Board of Directors of the Hawai`i Public Housing Authority
- Louis E. Abrams Real Estate Commission
- Ronald William Peeren Board of Taxation Review, 4th Taxation District (Kaua`i)
- Patricia Ann Ewing Board of Directors of the Hawai`i Tourism Authority
- Guy Seichi Moriguchi Board of Certification of Public Water System Operators
- Mamo Cummings Graham Commission on the Status of Women