A classic Hollywood movie musical is reviving the romantic appeal of Kauaiâ€™s beautiful beaches and lush flora for a new generation of fans. South Pacific, the box-office blockbuster about forbidden love in the tropics during World War II, was recently re-released on Blu-ray Disc by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment to commemorate the movieâ€™s 50th anniversary.
Most of the filming for South Pacific took place in 1957-58 on Kauaiâ€™s idyllic north shore,
an area renowned for its breathtaking coastlines, flourishing green fields, and picturesque
waterfalls. The location was a popular choice with the filmâ€™s crew and Director Joshua Logan noted at the time, â€œKauai is a place that will enchant movie audiences, giving reality instead of stage illusion.â€
Sue Kanoho, executive director of the Kauai Visitors Bureau, said an enduring attribute
of Kauaiâ€™s north shore is that it remains largely unchanged five decades later. â€œKauaiâ€™s allure and spectacular natural beauty helped tell the story of South Pacific. Travelers coming here today will enjoy many of those same qualities,â€ said Kanoho.
Kanoho added that visitors will recognize many of the sights and landmarks used for
South Pacificâ€™s signature moments, especially those captured in song.
- Mount Makanaâ€™s towering twin peaks in HÄâ€˜ena were the inspiration for the mystical â€œisland of Bali Hai.â€
- Nellie Forbush (Mitzi Gaynor) was romanced by Emile de Becque (Rossano Brazzi) singing the ballad â€œSome Enchanted Eveningâ€ atop a garden-like plateau overlooking Princeville, now home to a popular resort area.
- Nellie sang â€œIâ€™m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hairâ€ at Lumahaâ€˜i Beach, a crescent-shaped beach known for the many native hala trees on the beachâ€™s edge.
- The song â€œNothing Like a Dameâ€ took place at Hanalei Bay, a perfectly curved bay featuring historic Hanalei Pier, crystal blue waters, and one of Hawaiiâ€™s most famous surfing spots.
- The ever-charming Bloody Mary (Juanita Hall) sang â€œHappy Talkâ€ on the banks of the KÄ«lauea River amid the fertile vegetation that is the Garden Isleâ€™s trademark.
Kanoho noted, â€œSouth Pacific helped put Kauai on the map for travelers and our island is
as lovely and inviting today as it was 50 years ago.â€