Statehood Conference on Friday
To culminate the year-long commemoration of the 50th anniversary of HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s statehood, the 50th Anniversary of Statehood Commission will host a commemorative conference on Admission Day, August 21, 2009 at the HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Convention Center. The one-day conference, titled Ã¢â‚¬Å“New Horizons for the Next 50 Years,Ã¢â‚¬Â will bring together HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi citizens representing different industries and interests, to reflect on the accomplishments HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi has achieved since becoming a state, while exploring the vision for HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s next 50 years.
Featured Speakers include:
- Bryan Clay, 2008 Decathlon Gold Medalist
- Andy Karsner, former assistant secretary, U.S. Department of Energy
- John Zogby, pollster, Zogby International
- Admiral Timothy Keating, Commander, U.S. Pacific Command
- General (Ret.) Eric Shinseki, U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs
- HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 21st Century Global Economy (9:15 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 10:15 a.m.)
- Native Hawaiians: Cultural Navigation in a Sea of Change (3:00 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 4:30 p.m.)
- HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Stamp Unveiling (10:15 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 10:30 a.m.)
In coordination with the U.S. Postal Service, Governor Lingle will help unveil the official State of HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi commemorative stamp. HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s stamp design was created by local artist Herb Kane of the Big Island.
- Live Video Teleconference with Troops in Iraq (10:30 a.m. Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 10:45 a.m.)
HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s men and women in uniform who are serving overseas in Iraq will be part of the official commemoration conference through a live video teleconference.
- Economic Forecast Luncheon (12:30 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 2:00 p.m.)
Emerging from the Global Recession: Near Term Economic Prospects for HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi, the U.S., and the World Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Featuring the annual Economic Forecast panel discussion with the HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Economic Association and the University of HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Economic Research Organization (UHERO).
- News Conference Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Clean Energy Future (2:00 p.m.)
Enterprise Rent-a-Car and the HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi State Dept. of Transportation will hold a news conference during which Enterprise Rent-a-Car will unveil its commitment to a clean energy future for HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi.
Workshops (11:00 a.m. Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 12:30 p.m.)
- Military partnerships Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Part of Our Ã¢â‚¬ËœOhana
- HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Tourism Future
- Knowledge Management Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Leading HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Future
- Media in HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Ã¢â‚¬â€œ The Next 50 Years
- Economic Understanding for Today and Transformation for Tomorrow
- Public Education in HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi: Past, Present, and Future
- Labor Movement: Role of Unions Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
- Preserving HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Natural Resources
- Historic Overview: Historical Perspectives of Statehood
- HawaiÃ¢â‚¬ËœiÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Energy Future: The Next 50 Years
- What does Ã¢â‚¬Å“InnovationÃ¢â‚¬Â mean?
New Horizons Pavilions:
To further the educational and informational benefit to conference delegates, exhibit pavilions will be available. In the exhibit pavilions, delegates will be able to expand their understanding and appreciation of particular subject areas by talking with experts in each field. Exhibit pavilions (scheduled):
- Clean Energy, Technology & Green Living
- Diversity & Culture
- Business & Finance
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Health, Wellness & Aging
New Opportunities Career and Job Fair
Employment search firms, local employers, and the State of HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Department of Labor and Industrial Relations Workforce Development Division will offer information and job search assistance to potential employees.
Featured performances by HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi artists Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Keola and Moanalani Beamer, Raiatea Helm, Natalie Ai Kamauu, Geoffrey Keezer, Charles Kaupu, Bernice Hirai, the Chamber Music HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Spring Wind Quintet, Halau Hula Olana, Tihati Productions, Arshielle Calatrava, Danny Kaleikini, and Ciana Pelekai.
- Evening Concert (7:00 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 9:00 p.m.)
1950s-style concert by The Platters, The Coasters and The Drifters. Presented by Tom Moffat Productions.
- Statehood Fireworks (9:00 p.m.)
Presented by the Hilton Hawaiian Village and HawaiÃ¢â‚¬Ëœi Explosives & Pyrotechnics, Inc.