Saturday is Free Comic Book Day
Thirteen Hawaii libraries will offer readers free comic books on Saturday, May 7 in celebration of the 10th anniversary of Free Comic Book Day. Library patrons showing their valid Hawaii State Public Library System card will receive a special free comic book, while supplies last.
Don’t have a library card? You can apply for a card at your nearest public library.
This year’s event is sponsored by the Friends of the Library of Hawaii, Jelly’s the Original, and Collector
Free Comic Book Day is celebrated throughout the world on the first Saturday in May and participating libraries and comic book shops have given away millions of free comic books over the past nine years.
Each participating HSPLS library will offer a variety of comic books for all ages. Readers can choose from among popular series including “Thor,” “Batman,” “Betty & Veronica,” “Kung Fu Panda,” and “Avatar: The Last
Participating public libraries include:
- Aiea Public Library (telephone: 483-7333)
- Aina Haina Public Library (377-2456)
- Hawaii Kai Public Library (397-5833)
- Kailua Public Library (266-9911)
- Kapolei Public Library (693-7050)
- Liliha Public Library (587-7577)
- McCully-Moiliili Public Library (973-1099)
- Mililani Public Library (627-7470)
- Waimanalo Public & School Library (259-2610)
Big Island –
- Hilo Public Library (933-8888)
- Kealakekua Public Library (323-7585)
- Kihei Public Library (875-6833)
- Lahaina Public Library (662-3950)
In addition, sci-fi movie and comic book costumed characters will make special appearances at the following libraries to encourage children to read and help promote the Free Comic Book Day 2011 celebration:
- Aina Haina Public Library, 10 a.m.-noon – Meet costumed Star Wars characters from Rebel Legion Hawaii (a branch force of the international costuming fan site rebellegion.com) and Oahu FanForce (Hawaii’s official chapter of FanForce, the international Star Wars fan community, a division of TheForce.net).
- Kapolei Public Library, 10 a.m.-noon; Aiea Public Library, 2 p.m.- 4 p.m. – Meet Star Wars Stormtroopers and other characters in costume from the Pacific Outpost of the 501st Legion (“Vader’s Fist”).
- McCully-Moiliili Public Library, 2 p.m.- 4 p.m.: Meet costumed Star Wars characters from Rebel Legion Hawaii (a branch force of the international costuming fan site rebellegion.com) and Poison Ivy (“Batman” DC comics).
Library patrons and the general public are invited to bring their own cameras for photo opportunities with the costumed characters.
Please visit the HSPLS website: www.librarieshawaii.org or call the hosting libraries for more information.
One thought on “Saturday is Free Comic Book Day”
Pingback: May the “No Pants” be with you | vdvicci